- 2 large aubergines, sliced lengthways into slices 5mm thick
- olive oil, for frying
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 5 bocconcini Mozzarella balls
For the stuffing
- 100g Edam cheese, cut into small cubes
- 75g pine nuts
- 50g sultanas, soaked in water until plump, then drained
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
2. Lay the sliced aubergine out on a big roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and bake in the oven for 20 mins. Drain on kitchen paper and leave to cool.
3. For the stuffing, mix together the Edam, pine nuts, sultanas, olive oil, breadcrumbs, garlic, Parmesan and basil. Season to taste and bind together with the beaten egg.
4. Lay out the cooked aubergine slices and place a generous tbsp of stuffing mixture at the end of each slice. Roll them up fairly tightly to secure the filling and season with salt and pepper.
5. Lightly grease a gratin dish with a little olive oil and put the aubergine rolls in it, packing them in tightly.
6. Pour over the can of chopped tomatoes. Tear the bocconcini Mozzarella balls, and arrange down the center. Drizzle with a little more olive oil then bake in the oven for 25 -30 mins, until golden. Cool slightly before serving.
Enjoy this recipe with one of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Recipe Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli