- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2kg aubergine, sliced in half
- Maldon salt
- crushed black pepper
- 3 cans of coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 6 shallots, chopped
- 1 Tbsp tamarind paste
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 thumb of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1⁄4 cup chopped coriander
- 5 red chillies, chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
To make the curry paste
1. Place the turmeric, shallots, tamarind, garlic, ginger, coriander, chillies, tomato paste and sugar in a food processor and process until smooth.
To make the chilli and coconut curry
2. Heat 1 Tbsp vegetable oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a high heat.
3. Season the aubergine with salt and pepper and pan fry until golden on all sides. Set aside.
4. Heat the remaining oil in the pan and cook the curry paste for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and fish sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook until reduced and the flavours are infused. Add the aubergine.
Serve with coconut pancakes .
Enjoy this recipe with one of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Recipe Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli