- 3 brown onions
- 3 red onions
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 6 tbsp caster sugar
- 7 sheets of phyllo pastry
- 80ml melted butter
- 300g goat’s Chevin cheese
- 6 free range eggs
- 300ml milk
- 250ml cream
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Peel and slice the onions widthways, 1cm thick, and fry them off in a frying pan with the olive oil and caster sugar until they are golden. Place on a baking tray, cover with foil, and cook in the oven for 20–30 min or until they are cooked through.
2. Butter the base of a deep loose-bottom tart tin, 25cm in diameter, place the first sheet of phyllo pastry into the tart case, smoothing along the base and sides, brush with more melted butter and top with the second sheet of pastry, continue this process with all the pastry sheets.
3. Place the onion slices and the goat’s cheese, crumbled, into the pastry dish.
4. Beat together the eggs, milk and cream, salt and pepper and pour into the tart case.
5. Bake in the oven for 30–40 min, until there is the slightest wobble in the egg, and the top is beautifully golden.
Sauvignon Blanc complements this dish.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Recipe Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli