- 500g Arborio rice
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 50g butter
- 30ml olive oil
- 100ml quality dry white wine
- 1,5 litres good chicken or vegetable stock
- 40ml cream
- pinch of fresh rosemary leaves
- pinch of fresh sage, finely chopped
- porcini and/or other wild mushrooms
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 30g grated Parmesan cheese
Heat the olive oil in a flat-bottomed pot, add the onions and fry until they start to colour. Add the butter and the garlic and reduce the heat. When the butter is melted, mix in the dry Arborio rice and continue frying for another 3 minutes. Deglaze with the white wine. (You can also add a splash of Vermouth.) When the wine is absorbed by the rice, start adding small amounts of stock and keep on stirring.
While the rice is cooking, sauté the mushrooms and herbs in a small quantity of the stock, and set aside.
Continue stirring the rice until al dente. Gently stir in the cream and cooked mushrooms. Check the seasoning and add the Parmesan. Serve immediately
Sparkling Wine or MCC complements this dish.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Photography Danie Nel
Recipe by Reuben Riffel