Time: 30 Min · Level: Easy · Makes 4
Shiitake mushrooms are the best natural source of umami (considered to be the 5th taste sensation, after sweet, sour, etc.) and can add a unique ‘meaty’ flavour to dishes.
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- 1 small red chilli, chopped
- 2 stems of lemon grass, lightly crushed
- 200g of assorted mushrooms (I used straw mushrooms, shiitake and oyster mushrooms)
- 250g of plain tofu, cubed
- 1 lime
- 3 spring onions
- 1 handful of torn basil leaves
- 5ml Tamari sauce
Bring the vegetable stock to the boil in a pot and then add the lemon grass and red chilli and allow to simmer slowly for 15 minutes. Add the Tamari sauce and pepper. Then add the mixed mushrooms and the tofu and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Add the lime juice, spring onions and basil leaves, stir and serve.
Off dry Chenin Blanc complements this dish.
To shop from a selection of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za