- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 400g tinned Cannellini beans, drained
- 2 roasted peppers (store bought)
- 60g pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- 3 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- small punnet rocket
- 1 baguette, cut into 2cm thick crostini slices
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium saucepan and fry the onions until glassy. Add the smoked paprika and cook for 2 more minutes. Place the onion mixture, beans, roasted peppers and about 3 tablespoons of the olive oil into a food processor and blend until smooth. Season and allow to cool slightly.
To make the black olive relish, place the olives and parsley in a bowl. Pour over the remaining oil and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Season and stir well.
To serve, spread some of the cannelloni and roast pepper purée over each warm crostini slice and spoon on a little of the olive relish. Top with a few rocket leaves, drizzle with a touch more olive oil, and place on a large serving plate.
Enjoy this recipe with one of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za
Recipe Diane Heierli • Photography C&D Heierli