These savoury pancakes will complement many Asian dishes
Makes approx. 8 small pancakes
1 cup of cake flour, plus extra for dusting surface
¾ tsp salt
¼ cup of water
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp pork lard
½ cup of fresh spring onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh coriander, coarsely chopped
vegetable oil, for frying
1. Sift the flour and salt together.
2. Combine the water and milk and heat slightly.
3. Add the water/milk to the flour and stir until they combine.
4. Empty on to a lightly floured surface and slowly knead until you have a soft elastic dough. You may need to add a little extra water.
5. Divide the dough into 2, cover with cling wrap, and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
6. Roll out the one piece of dough into a circle and smear about half a tsp of the lard onto the pancake, roll the disk into a log, then from the other end roll the dough into a spiral. Cover and allow to rest. Repeat the procedure with other piece of dough.
7. Roll out the first piece of dough again and sprinkle with half of the spring onions, fold over and roll out again. Divide the dough into 4 balls and do the same with the second batch of dough.
8. You should have 8 smallish pancakes, about 12cm in diameter. Lightly fry them in a heated pan with a little vegetable oil until they are golden.
Enjoy this recipe with one of South Africa’s best wines, go to wineofthemonth.co.za