A grown-up version of a childhood favourite: try pairing this snack with a lager
20ml canola oil
½ cup popcorn
200ml brown sugar
50ml maple syrup
1 tsp smoke essence
50ml fresh cream
2 tsp sea salt flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 100°C.
2. Place the oil and popcorn in a large pot over high heat.
3. Keep the lid on the pot until all the popcorn has popped.
4.Place popcorn onto a baking tray.
For the caramel:
1. Place the butter in a medium pot and place over a low heat. Allow the butter to melt.
2. Add the sugar, maple syrup and essence and allow all the sugar to dissolve.
3. Increase the heat and bring the syrup to a steady boil.
4. Boil the syrup for 10 min until golden brown and caramelized, stirring occasionally so the caramel doesn’t burn and stick to the pot.
5. Place the popcorn into the oven to warm.
6. Add the cream and whisk quickly.
7. Remove popcorn from the oven and pour caramel over the popcorn. Place back in the oven immediately.
8. After 5 min, remove the tray and carefully mix the popcorn so all of it is coated with caramel. Sprinkle sea salt over while still hot.
9. Leave to cool before serving.